Saturday, May 31, 2014

~ Todd Smith, 3rd Grade Teacher, Holy Trinity School, El Dorado Hills, CA

I believe! After observing your first demonstration in my classroom and seeing how enthused my kids were to successfully recall 'The 3s,' I knew that your method of learning multiplication facts was a much more efficient method than any of my past attempts. Results from the 100-problem pre/post assessment (Time: 8 minutes or less) of multiplication facts (1-12) indicated that only 3 o f my students scored 80% or higher. I used this same assessment as a post-assessment six weeks later, however I have much different results.

I used TURN the Tables intensively for a period of 6 weeks with my third grade class of 34 students, beginning in late February. I spent roughly 40-50 minutes a day for the first two weeks. After my students recognized the familiar pattern in this multi-sensory approach, I spent approximately 15 minutes introducing new facts and allowing 20 minutes for students to work independently for a total of 35 minutes. The time remaining from our usual 50 minutes was used to cover new materials. At the end of each week, I used the corresponding multiplication fact assessment (included in the curriculum binder) with my class to determine proficiency levels. In all but one exception, a minimum of 80% of my students scored 80% or higher on each fact assessment (50 problems in 4 minutes). The exception was 'The 8s' test, in which case 70% of my students scored 80% or higher on their assessment.

At the end of the sixth week, I gave the 100-problem pre/post assessment test (Time: 8 minutes or less) to my students. Of my 34 students, 82% scored 80 or better. The following week I gave the same assessment and 88% scored 80 or better. I reviewed multiplication using TURN the Tables twice weekly for the remaining 7 weeks of school, a total of 10-15 minutes per week. Each week I gave the 100-problem pre/post assessment test and recorded similar results. By the end of the year, 20 of my students were consistently scoring 95% or better on their 100-problem pre/post-assessment test and 32 students out of the 34 scored 72 or better.

Given the fundamental need for students' ability to recall multiplication facts, I truly believe that your curriculum establishes a firm foundation for long-term memory of the material. I was once a skeptic and am now a converted believer.

Thank you.

#multiplication
#tutoring
#5*
#educator